Monday, January 31, 2011

Fashion: Mum's Dress, Tentatively titled: The Fall of Icarus





From the Mara Chua Bespoke Collection tentatively titled: "The Fall of Icarus".

It's my mom's dress for a wedding where she's participating as a sponsor (ninang).Im using her as my latest guinea pig (opportunity) to experiment on newer techniques and to carry out certain ideas lingering in my head for a few weeks now. Ideas I want to make a collection out of for my Mara Chua line.

I guess this dress will serve as my prototype for the other looks. And I hope I do get to finish 7 looks. Considering all 7 are pretty ambitious and costly.

I'm still not yet sold on "Fall of Icarus"... While, the gold fabric reminds me wings and flight and classical Athens, it's very easy to go cliche and extremely inaccurate if I use Icarus and Greek culture
as my central theme. Considering that the setting for Icarus is Crete and the Cretan (Minoan) civilization is very very different from the Greek ones of the time. Sure, it was told from the point of view of Greek poets... I just dont want it too look all drapey drapey and flowy flowy 'Greek'.

Picset:
In the pictures posted above, you will see a bit of the development process. From the final fitting where the dress is 90% done to the beginnings when we were hand stitching pleated material onto the bodice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment