Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fashion: Toys of my Childhood



Pattern I'm working on today... any guesses on what this is?

So I had a rather recent epiphany.While making this particular pattern and laying it out. I had this sudden pang in my gut and flashbacks started rolling. I had images of that sleepless night trying to finish this model with the assistance of my dad rolling like a reel inside my head...
It looked a lot like this. I remember the hull of the boat having a battery and motor compartment. No remote though. The lay outing looked very similar to this...
The pieces were held together with a square plastic frame and you had to individually cut the out of the frame either using a nail cotter or, my preferred method, twisting the pieces until the plastic holding it becomes weak and you can pull it out.

Don't you agree with me that the layout image has an uncanny similarity to the pattern image above or this pattern image below...


A hug and a kiss and a cookie for anyone who can figure out what this becomes. :D


And then I started remembering a time when the world around me didn't exist. The only things that mattered to me was getting a perfect score on my next quiz so I get paid 20php (pre-inflation; 100php was a huge deal then) ; and having a good time.

Playtime was full of make believe. I created my own world, but unlike most kids, I took it a notch further... I wold physically create my own world. 3D modeling was something second nature to me. My favourite toys always had something to to with building or problem solving while building .

Exhibit A. This was where is all started (I think)... I remember making mansions and castles and villages out of these.











And then I moved on to bigger things... Then I made 4+ foot buildings out of these.

And nice palaces and hotels for my Barbie too.












At the same time my love affair with Power Rangers robots started. I only really loved it because of the challenge of putting them together... I preferred to do them without the manual beside me.



















This one is still on display in the bedroom upstairs. Went through a phase too.

And then the baking happened. And then the rest so they say is... writing is blog entry. :D











Soooo, this is my personal creation myth.
A step by step guide of how I came to be as a designer. It never was about the pretty colors but always about the way things are made. Ever since I started tinkering with the sewing machine. My question was always how this and that were done.
The progression from merely piecing things together to the act of making the puzzle pieces themselves and then piecing them together is the most natural thing. It's so natural that I never really even noticed the connection until recently! I've always thought my decision to pursue a career in clothing design was something random.
I could have on all counts went on and became a less specific designer of the industrial kind- doing anything and everything under the sun. It's the fact that you can do "magic" with any sewing machine is what made clothing more appealing.

The industry at large is still a very ugly one- both in front and at the back of the camera. I end up questioning why I'm here a lot of times. But in those moments when I'm in the thick of making and seeing pieces come together and take on a life of its own... I forget the ugliness and just get some sort of natural high similar to the feeling I get back when I was a child. Just the excitement and awe and satisfaction of being able to create and transform benign objects into something more than what they were.

On a lighter note. I'm ending by being a bit more interactive. Here's a question, "What toys/ objects did you play with during your kid years and have those toys been in some way reflective or helpful in your current profession now?

PICTURES ONE AND FOUR ARE PROPERTIES OF ME. THE REST ARE COLLECTED FROM VARIOUS PUBLIC SITES.

No comments:

Post a Comment